banner ad TS

TS Banner photo TSanimatedbannerad_zpsd5c15031.gif

Amazon Deals

Monday, May 6, 2013

What is Your Favorite Genre? Part 1



What is your favorite genre?  Part 1
We all have our preferences on the types of books we like to read.  Some love horror or dark fantasy, while others prefer to read something of a more humorous nature.  Some people, like my dad, like to read books about history or politics.  Only nonfiction will do for him.
I like to read almost everything.  I love history and read just about any book I can find on the subject.  Yes, I read nonfiction.  Oh, the horror!  Sorry, I know some who detest nonfiction because it is boring to them.  But I like to read biographies or books on parts of history that you never learn about in school.
I have read biographies about Patrick Henry and Benjamin Franklin.  Let’s face it, the only thing you learn about these guys in school is that they were important and you should know their name when you see it on an exam.  Or maybe that was just my History class.
If you ever get the chance to read the book 1421 you should.  It is very interesting.  It discusses the time the Chinese actually discovered America.  They did not know they had discovered a new continent, but most importantly, they chose not to settle here and went back home.  Think of how different the world would be if they had established colonies.
Besides nonfiction, I love novels.  Fantasy is one of my favorite genres.  I have read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.  I read some of The Wheel of Time series.  Unfortunately, I got bored after the end of book 2 and stopped reading the series.  However, now that the final book is out, I might take it up again.  It’s just difficult to read an almost 1,000 page book when you have an extremely busy schedule.

I love Harry Potter!  Not trying to be a “follow the crowd” sort, but the series really blew me away.  When I first heard of Harry Potter, I thought it was just another stupid kid’s book.  However, my mom talked me into going to the first movie when it came out in 2011.  The movie was phenomenal.  I couldn’t believe how lost I got in the story.  Naturally, I went out and bought the books afterward and read them in a week.  Then, like everyone else, I waited impatiently for the rest of the series to be released. 
I like how the books are written for a younger audience.  It makes for a fast read which is important when you are always on the go but still want to enjoy a good book.  But the story has elements that are perfect for adults.  Each book has something in them that always comes back later in the series.

Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events is another good set of books.  I don’t know if they are entirely fantasy, but I couldn’t think of where else to put them.  They are very quick reads, but the books e=never get old.  I love how Snicket managed to create an entire series about three children who are hounded by misfortune.  But he writes it in a way where it is humorous and heart warming and you can’t help but root for and feel for the Baudelaire children.  But I love how the author begins the story.  He starts by telling you to put the book down and walk away, which makes you continue reading.  Ingenious!

So what are your favorite genres to read?  Comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment