banner ad TS

TS Banner photo TSanimatedbannerad_zpsd5c15031.gif

Amazon Deals

Friday, June 15, 2012

I have just finished reading the book Divergent by Veronica Roth.  I ran into many who loved the book so I downloaded it on my Nook and gave it a try.  Three days later, I have reached the end.

The story is set in a futuristic Chicago where everyone is divided into factions.  The main character, Beatrice who changes her name to Tris, leaves her faction for another and soon discovers that something is terribly wrong with her society.  As she matures from a 16 year old mindset into one with a broader view of the world, she learns about a plot to overthrow the factions and set up a totalitarian like regime, as though its wasn't oppressive enough before.

I found the book enjoyable and hard to put down and for the most part enjoyed it.  Some of the characters I wanted to beat up and others I cried for.  What I like is in this setting, Roth, explores what happens when we divide ourselves into certain groups and put those groups before anything else. She also demonstrates how some things that start out for good, get corrupted. FOr instance, the Dauntless group are supposed to be brave. But while going through initiation, Tris learns that they have a warped sense of the word and are really nothing but bullies.

My only complaint about the book is that the writing style got a bit choppy in areas where all the sentences started the same and ended the same. However, this is a trap every writer falls in to sometimes.  I did not let it keep me from enjoying the story.  I plan to read Insurgent to continue the story of Tris as she enters a new world.

No comments:

Post a Comment